Friday, November 28, 2008

Exams! Exams! and some more exams!

This week had been a rally of exams for me. But there is much more than my exam experience in this post.

Exams in Finland are not quite frightening as in India, not because of simple questions though.
There are three times that you can take up an exam and best of three is considered as the grade for that course. If fortunately you got good grade in the first attempt, you can be satisfied with it. If you dint get good grade you always have a possibility of taking it twice again. You can even skip the first exam if you cannot make it. Its quite really flexible!

I could see some striking significance in having this kinda exam flexibility. First and foremost, many a times in India, I always fell sick during exams (not exam fever!) and happened to take it by mustering energy. For I will be considered Fail if I skipped it and the next time I take it, its considered as Arrears! Oh pity on me..
So I really like this flexibility for I always have two more chances (hoping I wont feel sick then).
Isnt it real that my case can happen to anyone. Does students who cant prepare or attend exam for some worthy reason, consider that its their FATE to be failed.
Why is there only one chance to prove yourself?? Exam is not a competition, it just tries to evaluate your understanding. Isnt it the sole reason behind students getting frightened about exams??! How can we ask students to not get afraid on exams with this exam structure?
Something serious to ponder on our Indian exam structures.

Yesterday I took my Finnish exam without a single minute preparation. Though I spent my time preparing for another exam next day, I really wanted to give a try based on my class work.
And, it did went well, except that I know I am wrong in my answer but dont know what is right :-). It was real fun writing it.

Ofcourse, I am going to take my next Finnish exam with some preparation knowing what to prepare!

1 comment:

  1. Good..But, its very difficult to change the Indian educational system to your convenient method.. Ok. I will suggest to Directorate of Education to take your case also... Keep posting and prepare well for your exams...

    ReplyDelete