Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fascinating to see snow first time!

Since I had come to Finland, I heard people warning about the November month dark climate and people's depression feeling then. But now that November has passed, I could say, yes it was dark most of the day, but may not be depressing so much as people were warning.. I think its perhaps the people's slight dull feeling got aggravated by collective feeling. Like, when I say its dull and I am down, and gets the same reply from most of my friends, I feel even more dull. I am not an expert in psychology, but I could infer this from my experiences with people here.. Though I basically feel that we can change our moods by changing our thoughts and involving in different activities, I have to accept, that it is quite difficult in practice. Yes, I did feel tired after spending long hours of lectures and assignments, and it gets even worse when I came out of the college and saw the dark evenings. I do wish it to be bright then, to make me bright. But Nature is not on our demand. Once I reach home, sheer presence of Sriram charges me up. I do scream at him manytimes, but he remains calm and cheer me up in his own way. Nowadays I get accustomed to this climate and know how I can be charged! After a few days of ordeal in this climate, one fine afternoon in the midst of my assignment work at my Chinese friend's 6th floor apartment, I saw many tiny white dust flying down. On a second look, I could recognize that it was SNOW! sorry, may be flurry. But I was excited.. Next day, I was not feeling well, and woke up late. Sriram woke me up and told that it snowed last night. We both enjoyed seeing snow for the first time. It was nice to walk down to college that morning, walking over fresh snow. Children had started making snowman early morning. I could understand why Finns like snow instead of rain. It really makes the place bright. On my urge to know, how snow makes the place bright even when the sky is cloudy, I found a research paper substantiating it. You can find it here How places covered by snow is bright! You can go through selected parts of it according to your liking. One and all it was really fascinating to see SNOW and that too after November's climate. At the same time, I would say we need to learn to relish the taste for all types.
Nature has something for us on November before it reveals itself as snowy December!

1 comment:

  1. Surely, winter(snow) weather brings lot of fun activities.. Really,building a snowman has lot of frolic before you end up cold and wet... I also realised that snow brings glistening even in nights...

    ReplyDelete