Thursday, September 5, 2019

Introspection on this Teacher's day!

Recognizing the noble work of all teachers and salute them on this Teacher's day. A small write up based on my introspection.

On this Teacher's day, I read an article about how, many young students get inspired by their teachers but not aspire to become a teacher! Yes, indeed that's true and even worse some parents also might not want their children to become teachers! This made me ponder on what I felt when I was in school. I remember such questions of what do we want to become propped up and most of the answers were to be a doctor/scientist/computers/engineer etc and may be very few mentioned Teacher! I myself did not want to be a teacher and would think how can Teachers teach the same book always throughout their lives. Teaching might not be interesting as it would require us to go over same class, same book, same syllabus and no room for creativity, challenging tasks, recognition etc, leaving aside the salary part. In my myopic view from my childhood, I saw the role of a Teacher, though considered to be noble, as a person who toil more to make the children understand and get good marks. And some special teachers do share us inputs on how other traits like discipline, self-interest are more important for students along with marks. However, in my childhood view, I did not see any extended roles for teachers other than knowledge delivery. And that made me kinda decide not to pursue Teaching profession.

           In recent years, I had the opportunity to take some volunteering teaching options for college students, school students and community kids and I felt like I thoroughly enjoy the time I work with them. Yes, I want to mention it as working with children rather than teaching children. For teaching to me seems to be one way from teacher to student and working kinda gives scope as a co-creator and co-learner including both children and teacher.

           From my recent experience, I have to say, that my childhood notion of teaching as a profession lacking creativity and challenging task, is not true and it largely depends on the setup or environment (schools) where Teachers are working. During all the instances of working with children recently, I had the option of not having syllabus, room for creativity to engage with children and come up with interesting activities, thinking ways to grab their attention and create responses. Certainly this kinda role would demand Teachers to spend more time in preparation and execution, but I think over the years, Teachers can surely master it such that it comes naturally.

           It's also a welcome change to see many Role Model teachers who take extra steps in reaching out to students and help them evolve as a better and successful human being. Teachers do have a BIG heart to ignite passion in minds of SMALL children. I am sure students would remember some special teachers forever who brought that change in them. And this could be one of the intrinsic motivation and a sense of satisfaction for the teachers that would keep them pursue this as a profession. Have to give a big applause and standing ovation to all the teachers who brighten up everyday of a child, despite their health, family and other problems. Especially when this act of theirs is neither recognized nor paid well off. Teachers definitely need a good recognition platform, that would just not stop with awards.
             
              Now, after spending more than a decade in industry, having an inclination on science oriented learning, if I ask myself about pursuing teaching as a profession for the rest of my life - the answer would be "Yes I would certainly enjoy, however would be giving a thought on what roles I can take other than working with children in academics - be it a co-ordinator, career counsellor, mentor to brainstorm science projects, mentor for transforming ideas to solutions etc.. Not just a teacher though!"

             It would be really good to see a paradigm shift in the teaching domain, which would allow more teachers to take the role of not just teaching but being a co-creator, co-learner and influencer along with children, such that seeing them children gets aspired to become teacher. Its good to know that these points form the basis of International Baccalaureate curriculum and essence of Akshar Arbol International School. Happy to be a parent volunteer there.

I take this moment to pay my gratitude to my school teachers who instilled the habit of self-interest in my learning. Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely vidhya. Good thought on the day. .. Wish you all the best for the future endeavors. Miss your accomany for some reasons. Anyway happy teacher's day wishes. 💐🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put, Vidhya! As you rightly said, when we are not confined to a syllabus, there is more room for exploration and creativity. I also liked about 'working with children part'...I can resonate to it completely.

    ReplyDelete