Tuesday, March 6, 2007



Shes a granny who inspired me the first day I saw her on my way to have lunch.. She was preparing broom sticks from dry coconut thatches on the road pathway. Intrigued by her work at that age and wondering who will be her customers!! I had a chat with her once...
Snippets from the chat... She is of age 75 and wanted to make her own living. Seeing the dry coconut leaves in the surrounding, she started preparing brooms out of it. The astonishing thing is that she go around houses, collect the thatches, prepare brooms and you know what, throw the waste into the nearby dustbin!! The last thing she does, made me feel great on her social responsibilty and was awe-struck to see the granny walking slowly to throw the waste into dustbin.. She says with contentment, that she prepares around 10 numbers everyday and people cleaning roads and houses nearby buy from her at the rate of Rs.6 each.. The nearby watchmen were her chat partners..
As I always believe in work at any age and doing it at our best, I conveyed my profound regards to her. I bid her adieu and on my way back, 2 things striked my mind..
Before favouring a beggar, think of her..
And, I could see myself at an age of 75 in the granny... I will be pursuing my passionate work or hobby with social responsibilty and ofcourse with utmost contentment.

2 comments:

  1. nalla experience....continue pannunga

    ReplyDelete
  2. its nice that you tried to connect to her...reaching out, good.

    ReplyDelete