Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lets spread the good..


There are some questions that usually pops up in my mind always and to some of them I answer myself. However, I would like to know your thoughts on them which would give a different perception altogether.
So here goes them,
1. There are aplenty of stories, articles, songs and talks which emphasize Hindu Dharma and its values. In this digital world they also come in various forms, like ebooks, emails, videos, social networking communities and many more. First I wonder, is there actually a need associated with it.
Yes, there is a need for that always. I can relate with my experience. I have read that our brain and mind, needs to be in constant touch with the skills we want to possess. Otherwise, they will be slowly forgotten. That is why our ancestors insisted on Abhyasam (Practice) and Adhyayanam (Study) and also on SatSangh (good association). Many things that I read and practiced before both spiritually and professionally, are lost in touch now as I have not practiced them consciously. I became aware of that only during some worse situation. Only by constant emphasis of our values and ethics through stories, shlokas etc, I believe we can live our life on track.

2. Now, that I have understood the importance of Abhyasam, I wonder is it enough to practise ourselves and may be impart that to our family. Does it make significance if you have to spread the values you practise to others?
I am really not good in roping people to practise the values that I believe are good. May be I can spread a word about what I do, but really do not push. But when I give a thought of is it all important to spread the values, I have to admit that it is so. And those who do it should be having loads of persistence. Thats where all Satsangh comes into picture. In the present times, people perception largely differs when there is a mention of Satsangh.. It is nothing but being together and doing good together. It really makes a difference when many people are aligned and do somethings together (yes of course constructive).
What is that one get by putting effort to spread values? Fame. Maybe, yes. But that is a side effect and not the root cause. When the root cause behind these efforts is to have compassion towards people who are not aware of such values and hence do not experience them, then all the efforts becomes impeccable. They are not stained by the side effect Fame. As the tamil poet Tirumoolar rightly said, "Yaam petra enbam peruga evvayagam"  meaning "Let the people all over the world be benefited with the Joy I am blessed with"
I could quote two great people from Tamil culture, who emphasized the importance of spreading good.

1. Ramanujar - He is a saint who knocked the doors of his Guru Yamunacharya 17times to get Mantra upadesham and only got upadesham of "Om Namo Narayanaya" mantra in his 18th time and promised not to tell it to anyone and knew if he broke his promise, his head would splatter. But, later he went to the tower of temple "Thirukoshtiyur" and disclosed it to the whole village. He told his guru then, that he would be happy when many people attains benefit of this Mantra instead of him alone. This signifies the importance of spreading goodness.
2. Thiruppavai is a set of songs sung by Andal during the month of Marghazi (dec 15 - jan 13). In the first shloka itself, she calls on all her friends, and tell the importance of the Satsangh and singing praises of Lord. In the later shloka, she mentions waking up her friend saying you have more important job than sleeping. And, its true that sometimes we need to wake up people from their ignorance and it is for sure that you will be faced with challenges.
Both of them does not impart the good values to their family. They want to impart that to the society.

We are now living far from our home country where there is so much of possibility for being in a Satsangh. However, Saptakam, a multi cultural group in Tampere, Finland gives us an opportunity to have the similar feeling. I should also mention here Mr. Ajey Gotkhindikar, the person who wanted people to relish the values of our culture and hence pour in all his relentless efforts to spread the values of our culture. I pray God to grace him in his efforts.

I hope we all have some good values to be shared to others and also learn from others. Lets spread the good we know by whatever means we could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment