Friday, January 14, 2011

Appreciation - is it wasted all around or a valuable!

Nowadays I hear many people mentioning that their works are not recognized properly and they are not getting their due appreciation. Whenever I hear this, I am reminded of my Grandma.. and how worthy is her appreciation!


During my childhood, my grandma used to take care of my brother and myself at home. She is very particular about doing things on time and also very consistent in doing daily/weekly activities. She delegates some of her tasks to us and it is our responsible to do them every week. We both do it sincerely (ofcourse I do escape sometimes ;-)), but she never used to dote us and rarely she mentions about how good we do our tasks. But, I still remember vividly, how proudly she was telling to our neighbour aunty about the way we oblige to her and do our tasks. That is her way of appreciation. And, sometimes when we perform above her expectations, she immediately appreciates us and tell our parents.


I could understand now, that it is the better approach. Because if she would have praised us for whatever we do, we would have settled with that, and never would have attempted to do better. Also, we would have been doing them only to get praises from her, and that might be the triggering factor! But because of her approach, we wanted to do our tasks better for the sake that they would be better and not for some praises or prices!


Also she used to say that we have to perform the same way, when we are being observed or not.. Because I used to skip some activities, when she is not around ;-). This kind of brought up, inculcated in us good work ethics like doing our best always and without expecting appreciation.


I hope and would try my best to inculcate them to Barathraam also.. For these qualities are easy for kids to imbibe rather than adults. For adults, I believe these qualities can be acquired only with their self interest and discipline and not from others words.

No comments:

Post a Comment