Friday, May 6, 2011

Practise Shreddha and Steadfastness - II

As promised last week, here is another story of a small boy who was steadfast in his thought and pursued his efforts with Shreddha.
Once upon a time, there was a person by name Vajashrava who wished to accumulate punyam by giving away alms to the poor. So he arranged for a big yaagam and at the end of it planned to give alms to the poor. He asked his servants to get weakest and old cows from his yard. He had a small son by name Nachiketa who was observing that. He could see that those cows are old enough to give milk, neither they can be used for farming nor can be used for other purposes.

Nachiketa is a boy who is well versed in Shastras and possess staunch faith on them. He learns humbly from his Guru and pursues his orders with utmost sincerity. On seeing his father's actions, he was reminded of the Shastra knowledge he learnt, where it is mentioned that "One must always give away good things to others and the gifts a person give should be useful to others. Also, those things that are  liked by us should be given to others, which will subdue our sense of attachment."

So he told his father "Father, why are you giving old and weak cows to poor people? Those cows are not going to be of any useful to them. Though you think it as a way to acquire punyam(virtue), it is in fact papam(sin), to give such gifts to poor people. Please do not do that". Vajashrava replied "My son you are of small age and so you cannot understand these acts of the world. If I give away all the healthy cows of mine, how will I earn money and livelihood in the future. So let me continue doing this daanam(charity)". Worried Nachiketa thought for a while and told "Father, Shastras also mention, that children are the greatest wealth of a parent. You can give away me and get punyam. To whom will you give me?"

Vajashrava was busy in his work and did not heed his words. Nachiketa kept asking him repeatedly "To whom will you give me"? Vajashrava got angry and told "Go away, I give you to Yama". Nachiketa took these words seriously and in order to adhere to his father's words started his way to meet Yama, Lord of Death.

With his streadfast faith and shastra abhyas (practice), he crossed the Vaitarani nadi, which great sages find difficult to cross and reached Yamaloka. While he reached the doors of Yamaloka, he came to know that Yama Dharmaraaja was not in Yamaloka and waited behind the doors. After three days, Yama Dharmaraaja on his return to Yamaloka saw the small boy waiting behind his doors for three days without food and water. He felt bad for not serving his guest with due honor. He along with his wife Yami, welcomed him, provided him a seat and gave him food and water. He then spoke to him "My son, I am very sorry for keeping you wait behind my doors without any food or water. I was failed to perform my duties towards a guest and hence to cleanse my papam (sin) please ask three boons from me".

Nachiketa was happy to hear those words from Yama Darmaraaja himself and asked, "My father would be angry on me, because I left him in order to keep up his words. So please grant me the first boon that my father should not be angry on my return and should be always happy" . Dharmaraaja was happy to hear his self-less wish and then asked for the other two.

Nachiketa continued "I would like to be blessed with Vigyanam (scientific knowledge) by you". "Granted" told Dharmaraaja. Nachiketa then continued "Shastras say that a man is reborn again and again like a crop being grown and harvested. But those who attain Atmagyana are able to cross over this cycle. So can you teach me the ways to attain Atmagyana". Dharmaraaja was taken away on hearing this third boon and hesitated for a while as Atmagyana can be taught to only befitting people. So Dharamaraaja replied "My son, you are of small age and not in a position to learn that. You can ask any other things like health, kingship of this world, unparalleled  wealth etc". However Nachiketa remained steadfast in his desire to learn Atmagyana and uttered "I am not interested in anything else other than learning Atmagyana verily from you, Dharmaraaja".

On seeing Nachiketa's unshakable faith, he started teaching him Atmagyana. This story is from Katho Upanishad where Dharmaraaja teaches Nachiketa the ways to attain Atmagyana.

This story reveals steadfast faith and efforts with shreddha will surely yeild success. This story also emphasizes the way guests have to be treated and also the bhava (intention or mindstate) behind giving alms to the poor. As mentioned here, we should give those things that will be useful to others.

On a careful read of Dhruva and Nachiketa's story, we could find that both boys when confronted with rejection of their desire and thought, did not react with despair. They in turn provided the due respect for their parents and elders and at the same time tried other good ways to pursue their desires and thoughts.
This is an important quality to be cultivated to our children; not to despair or react badly during rejection, but to evolve as a person with integrity and find other ways to achieve their desire.


This story of Nachiketa is also referenced in this story: http://meinall.blogspot.com/2011/04/implied-meaning-of-lord-krishnas-pranks.html

Having listened to the story of small boy Nachiketa, we can enjoy this small boy's beautiful rendition of carnatic krithi "Pibare Ramarasam" by Sadasiva Brahmendra.



Pibare Rama Rasam

By Sadashiva Brahmendrar

Ragam Aahir Bhairavi, Thala AAdhi
Pallavi
Pibare rama rasam, rasane Pibare Rama Rasam

Charanam
1. Doorikrutha pathaka samsargam,
pooritha nana vidha phala vargam.
2. Janana marana bhaya shoka vidhooram,
Sakala shastra nigamagama saram
3. Pariplalitha sarasija garbhandam,
Parama pavithree krutha pasandam.
4. Sudha paramashrama ashrama githam,
Shuka shaunaka kaushika mukha peetam

English Translation
Pallavi
Drink the nectar of Rama, Oh connoisseur, Drink the nectar of Rama.
Charanam
1. Which removes the society of sinners
And fills you up with the fruits of many types.
2. Which removes the fear and sorrow of death and birth,
And which is the essence of all holy books including Vedas.
3. Which is the egg that looks after Lord Brahma,
And which makes you extremely pure.
4. Which is the pure music of sages in their Ashram,
And which can be heard from the face of,
Sages like Shuka, Shaunaka and Kaushika.

Story references: http://www.celextel.org/
http://www.moralstories.wordpress.com/

Lyrics courtesy: http://www.celextel.org/






4 comments:

  1. This was a new to me Vidya. I got completely immersed in it. Thank you :)

    Yes, it is very important for parents to cultivate this virtue in their kids. Our scriptures are so rich with wonderful stories like these to help us become a bit more wise in our lives.

    Thanks for taking time and writing this. I am sure there will be many people like me who will enjoy reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually interested in bringing out the treasure of our scriptures that holds true at all time periods. I will try my level best to get more stories of such kind which would help our generation to know our cultural values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said absolutely right! I have been so impressed with these characters ( since my childhood) - I decided to name my two sons as Dhruva & Nachiketa. Unfortunately very few people know about these great figures. I encounter a blank look everytime I mention the name " Nachiketa". So I bought comic books to distribute to everybody who comes home to see my 4 month old Nachiketa. Infact I distributed these books to over 200 people during the Namakaranam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deepak Kanchi for sharing your thoughts about this story and our ancient treasure. I could understand your passion for these two characters by your sons naming. Your idea of distributing "Nachiketa" book to everyone indeed is great.. I am confident that I would give serious thinking about distributing these books during our son Barathraam's Upanayanam.

    ReplyDelete