Friday, July 15, 2011

Sabari patti (granny) and her Guru-bhakthi

Today, July 15,2011 in Hindu calendar marks Ashada month's(June-July) pournami (Full moon day). This day is celebrated as Guru Poornima also known as Vyasa Pooja. It is believed that Sage Vyasa completed writing Four Vedas (Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvana Vedas) today. Today is considered auspicious to do Guru seva and start initiation from our Guru to learn our desired Vidya (art or knowledge).

All of us, especially kids like to be with our grand parents. Today we can listen to a granny's story and her bhakthi (devotion) towards her Guru.

There was a old granny called Sabari who lived in Sage Matanga's ashram (hermit). Her daily routine was to clean the ashram, decorate it with flowers and collect fruits from the forest, chant Lord Rama's name and by the end of the day, distribute the fruits to the children in the ashram. She did this every single day and one day a child asked her ,"Oh Granny, why are you decorating the ashram with flowers everyday though no one is coming to your home? You are also taking pains to go to forest to collect sweetest of sweetest fruits, but by the end of the day giving it to us, though we have never asked you for fruits"

She caressed the child and told, "Oh, vatsa (my son), I am looking forward for Rama who is the embodiment of love and an avatar of Lord Vishnu. My guru Sage Matanga has asked me to chant Rama Nama all the time and has blessed that he will come and meet me one day. As I do not know on what day he will come and meet me, I am decorating my home everyday to welcome him and collecting fruits to offer him. By the end of the day, I give the fruits to you kids, expecting Rama to come next day."

The kids got interested on Sabari's explanation for her act and asked, "Is that so granny?? Can you tell me how Rama will look like, so that we can search him if he is nearby our ashram?"

Sabari granny replied, "My intelligent son, I have not seen Rama myself. As my Guru told me, I am sure he would visit me once and I will be blessed to see him in person."

The kids laughed at her and told, "So, you do not know who is Rama, have not seen Him once, but collect fruits for him and decorate your house to welcome him! It seems you are getting mad..". Saying this the kids ran away.

Sabari lost in thoughts of her early life. She used to wander around the forest and eat animals by hunting them. While she was wandering, she reached the Sage Matanga ashram and found it to be very peaceful. She could feel that the environment is so conducive that she did not want to wander anywhere. She thought she could stay there by performing some cleaning duties in the Ashram. Later Sage Mathanga noticed her and consented her to be in the Ashram and do cleaning seva. From then on, she used to wake up early, clean the ashram premises, help collecting things for Ashram's activities. One day, Sage Matanga called all his Sishyas (disciple) and told that time has come for his Jeeva Mukthi and he would like to bless his sishyas and told them to ask for their boons.

His disciples came one by one and asked for attaining siddhis, mastering Vidyas, gaining popularity, gaining health and wealth etc. At the end was Sabari and when Sage Mathanga asked her on what she want, she replied, "Oh, Guru. I do not know what I want, for all these days I did not find any needs for me. I found peace and happiness in serving you. I am sure you will know what I would need, so please bless me with what I should be doing rest of my life."

Sage Mathanga was happy on her unparalleled devotion towards him and told, "Sabari, Rama the son of Dasaratha is none other than avatar of Lord Vishnu. Chant Rama Nama for the rest of your life and one day Lord Rama will come and meet you and will bless you."

Sabari from that day was chanting Rama Nama, decorating her house for his arrival and collect fruits to offer him. It has been 12 years and then one day, kids came running towards her and told,
"Granny, two persons have come to meet you. They are very beautiful and we think it should be Rama, the one you have been waiting for all these days."
On hearing this Sabari felt very happy and came running to welcome them. She could not believe her eyes and was astonished on seeing the beauty of Rama and Lakshmana. She washed their legs and offered seat. She then offered the fruits she collected from the forests. Lakshmana noticed that those fruits were already tasted and asked Rama not to eat them. However Rama told that Sabari wanted to ensure that the fruits are tastier before she can offer and so she tasted it. He continued, that he was moved by Sabari's devotion towards Him and would like to taste the fruits.
Lord Rama born on King's lineage has always been giving things from his hand and this was the first time when he got something from others. Sabari felt blessed on their presence and Lord Rama bestowed her Jeevan Moksha.

This is the story of granny Sabari's Moksha. People may laugh at our faith and beliefs but, Sabari granny proved that her belief in her Guru's words, blessed her with a Moksham in the presence of Lord Rama himself.

During this Guru poornima day, let us all pray to God to bestow us a Guru for us, for only he knows what we want and could show us a path to achieve it.

Listen to our beloved M.S.Subbulakshmi's devoted Guru-Bhajan "Guruvara Deejo"

1 comment: