Friday, June 10, 2011

The guiding verse of my life

I listened to a discourse by Sri Muralidhara Swamigal and the Bhagavat Geetha shloka he mentioned in that simply elucidates how we need to do our actions and practices which will lead us to live peacefully.

The shloka is from Chapter 12 Bhakthi Yoga, verse 12,

If you understand Tamil language, please do listen to his explanation for this shloka, below.

And for those who does not understand Tamil, I tried to summarize below what he had mentioned.
"We have been brought up with our tradition & cultural values since our childhood which is good. But we should make efforts to know the reasoning behind it, which will guide us when we are baffled by those non-believers. It is not enough to have this reasoning as a knowledge alone, but we need to put that into consistent practice through which we will develop 'dhyana' or meditation: meditate on our practices. Once we start doing practising this for years, unknowingly we might be proud of ourselves. The ego comes into picture and will slowly become our master. Thus inorder to avoid pride taking over us, we need to submit all our efforts to God saying, its only through His grace, I am able to do all these activities consistently. This 'bhava' or emotion will humble ourselves and prevent from pride taking over. Once we get into this state, we will remain peacefully all through our life: during happiness and sorrow."

So in short he tells us, it is good to practise our values, and even more good is to know the reason behind it which guide us when we are baffled by others, and even more good is continuing the knowledge and practice consistently and the best would be to offer all our efforts to God which will lead to ultimate Peace at all times.

I strongly recommend people to listen to his discourse if you understand Tamil, for my summarization on his view is limited to my understanding. And I am sure, everyone of us will take different interpretations from his talks. If you have any other thoughts that you could imbibe from his talk, please do share with me here.

Each shloka of Bhagavat Geetha sends us a message on the good ways of leading our life and to handle our situations. I consider this shloka to be a guiding verse of my life in doing my activities daily.



No comments:

Post a Comment